• Home

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Gahh!!!

God has a wicked sense of humour! Here I sit, a blogger who for the past few weeks has been unable to stop opining over the latest woman in his life, when out of the blue I get a phone call from another unrequited love.

I toured a theatre show last year called "The Breath of Life". The stage manager on that show is an amazing person. I fell for her hard but couldn't do anything about it. I would have, believe me. For this girl I would have overcome every little insecurity in my body and moved heaven and earth. Why didn't I? I know that's the question that is bouncing around in your heads as you read this. She had a boyfriend. And not just any boyfriend. He is in the Australian Air Force and at the time that we were on tour he was serving in Iraq.

I am not condoning breaking up a relationship for your own ends. That is just wrong. But, how could I compete with someone who was putting his life on the line each and every day?

So, after three months I finished the tour. She went back to Melbourne and I went out on the road with another show. We still talked on the phone regularly but the boyfriend was still in the picture. Over time I stopped calling. It messed up my head to talk with her for an hour and then spend the next week wishing she was here or I was there.

Then, on Saturday night, while my phone was turned off during a show, she rang and left a message. She said that she had been thinking about me a lot lately and would love to catch up.

I called her tonight. We talked for nearly an hour, catching up on everything that has happened over the last six to eight months. She has been working on an opera in Sydney for the last 3 months. That means she is only 1600km away right now. In 10 days she goes back to Melbourne.

There was a warm day in Sydney the other day and she went to Manly where we had stayed on tour while doing the Sydney run of the show. While she was walking around Manly she saw the pub that we went to for dinner, and walked past the hotel that our cast and company stayed at. And she cried. She missed me.

And now, I miss her!

I don't think she has the boyfriend anymore either.

God has a wicked sense of humour.

Technorati tags: ,

4 comments:

Lily said...

Get off the computer and phone her now!!!!!!!!

Bonez said...

That's the trouble, I did call her, and now I am the poster boy for Conflicted.

She lives 2000km+ away from me. Long distance just doesn't work. She did say she might come up here for a holiday after her run at the opera finishes though. Knowing my luck I'll be together with Girl A by then.

Anonymous said...

Ah. Now I can use the comments!

Long distance can work, dude. My husband lived in Virginia when I met him while I was living in KCMO. That was 10 years ago.

I ditched my mentality of "long distance relationships don't work" one night when I was playing poker with friends. I realized I was willing to bet $150 on a hand (which was iffy) because the pot was good enough to try for (over $1200). I anted. I won. I rocked.

They don't call it a "gamble" for nothing, my friend.

Bonez said...

Thanks for taking the time to dig through my crappy html coding to post a comment Kate.

I hear what you are saying loud and clear. I think I just need to suck it up and figure out what is going on with the local girl before I start chasing a long distance thing.

This blog has moved to Blog.bagobonez.com. Please go there to see new posts.